Professor of Organizational Behavior
Director of the Managing Talent for Strategic Advantage Executive
Program; Codirector of the Customer-Focused Innovation Executive Program
Professor of Sociology (by courtesy), School of Humanities and Social Sciences
655 Knight Way
Faculty Building West 237
Stanford, California, 94305-7298
- Stanford University, Atholl McBean Professor of Organizational Behavior and Human Resources (2005-present)
- Stanford University, Morgan Stanley Co-Director of the Center for Leadership and Development (2007-2011)
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Richard L.Thomas Distinguished Professor of Leadership and Organizational Change (2002-2005)
- Emory University, Goizueta Business School, Charles Howard Candler Professor of Management; By courtesy, Professor of Sociology, Emory University (2001)
- Emory University, Goizueta Business School, Tenured Associate Professor of Organization & Management; By courtesy, Associate Professor of Sociology, Emory University (1995-2000)
- Emory University, Goizueta Business School, Assistant Professor of Organization & Management; By courtesy, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Emory University (1989-1994)
Awards and Honors
- Honorable Mention, Viviana Zelizer Award, American Sociological Association, 2009.
- Younger Family Fellow, 2008. Graduate School of Business. Stanford University.
- Fellow, Academy of Management. 2008.
- Fellow, Sociological Research Association. 2007.
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in Behavioral Science. 2006.
- W. Richard Scott Award for Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship, American Sociological Association, 2005.
- Member, Advisory Board, McDonald’s Center for Innovation.
- Selected as Fellow, Center For Advanced Study in Behavioral Science, Stanford University. 2004.
- Sidney Levy Award For Teaching, Kellogg School of Management, 2004.
- Panel Member, Organizational Innovation and Change Section. National Science Foundation. 2000-2001.
- Best Symposium Award, Organization and Management Theory Division, Academy of Management, 2001.
- Erskine Fellow, University of Canterbury, New Zealand. 2000.
- Elected member, Macro-Organizational Behavior Society, 1999.
- Halle Institute Fellowship, Emory University, 1998-1999.
- Distinguished Educator Award, Goizueta Business School, 1997.
- Keough Award for Faculty Excellence, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, 1997.
- Daniel Jordan Faculty Fellow, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, 1996-1997.
- J.N. Tata Scholar, 1989.
- India Foundation Scholar, 1989.
- Advisory Board, Children Now. 2009
- Editorial Board Member, American Sociological Review. 2012-present.
- Editor, Administrative Science Quarterly, July 2008 –August 2011.
- Associate Editor, Administrative Science Quarterly, 2003-2008 (June).
- Consulting Editor, American Journal of Sociology. 1999-2001.
- Senior Editor, Organization Science. 2000-2002.
- Guest Editor, Academy of Management Journal, 1996.
- Member, Editorial Board, Administrative Science Quarterly. 1996-2002.
- Member, Editorial Board, Organization Science. 1997-2002.
- Member, Editorial Board, Academy of Management Review. 1998-2002.
- Member Editorial Board, Journal of Management Inquiry. 1996-2002.
- Member Editorial Board, Strategic Organization. 2001-present.
- Guest Co-editor, Academy of Management Journal, Special Research Forum on "Extending the Frontiers of Organizational Ecology". 1996.
- Co-Organizer, Organization Science Winter Conference, 2002.
- Chair, ASQ Scholarly Impact Award Committee. 2001.
- Member, ASQ Scholarly Impact Award Committee. 2000.
- Judge, INFORMS Dissertation Competition. 1996, 1999. College of Organization Science.