Research Repository, Yiga-Choling (Ghoom) monastery, Darjeeling, India.
Please click here for an overview of the major themes of my research and for exciting new works in progress!
- The Administrative Foundations of Self-Enforcing Constitutions, with Avner Greif and Yadira Gonzalez de Lara: The American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 2008
- Maintaining Peace Across Ethnic Lines: New Lessons from the Past: Economics of Peace and Security Journal, 2007
- Governance in the Gullies: Democratic Responsiveness and Leadership in Delhi's Slums, with Vijayendra Rao and Michael Woolcock: World Development, 2007
- Sharing the Future: Financial Solutions to the Political Economy Challenges of Development, forthcoming in Institutions and Comparative Economic Development, edited by Masahiko Aoki, Timur Kuran and Gerard Roland, Volume I of the Proceedings of the 16th World Congress of the International Economic Association, IEA Conference Series 150: Palgrave Macmillan
- Who Gets Heard in a Deliberative Democracy? Evidence from Transcripts of Village Meetings in South India, with Radu Ban and Vijayendra Rao, 2012, revised from Stanford GSB Working Paper No. 2103, forthcoming at the Journal of Development Economics
- Does Combat Experience Foster Organizational Skill: Evidence from Ethnic Cleansing During the Partition of South Asia , June 2012, with Steven Wilkinson, forthcoming at the American Political Science Review
- Financial Innovations and Political Development: Evidence from Revolutionary England (2010) revised from Shares, coalition formation and political development: Evidence from 17th Century England (Stanford GSB Working Paper No. 2005), August 2008, revision requested at the Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Trade, Institutions and Ethnic Tolerance: Evidence from South Asia, April 2012, revised from Trade, Institutions and Religious Tolerance: Evidence from India (Stanford GSB Working Paper No. 2004), Jan 2008
- A Theory of Community Formation and Social Hierarchy, with Susan Athey and Emilio Calvano (coming soon!)
- Global Trade, Contracts and Poverty Alleviation in Indigenous Communities: Cochineal in Mexico, April 2011, with Alberto Diaz-Cayeros
- Trade shocks, Mass Mobilization and Decolonization: Evidence from India’s Independence Struggle, May 2011, with Rikhil Bhavnani